Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: A question on security postgraduate programs

From: Katelyn Rowlands <knr () uid0x00 org>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 00:58:57 +0100

 I'm a 3rd year computer science student and and I've a strong interest
 in security. Primarily, vulnerability research/reverse engineering. At
 the moment I'm trying to decide what to do after I finish University.

I'm also in a very similar position right now. I am about to graduate in
June with a BSc Computer Science and I want a career in security
research.

 I would like to work in vulnerability research or pen testing when I'm
 finished so I'm wondering if I'm better off attempting to find work
 straight away after I finish or getting some other qualifications
 first? Also if someone could recommend some decent masters/postgrad
 courses that would be cool.

One very good course in the UK is the MSc Information Security at UCL
(http://mscinfosec.adastral.ucl.ac.uk). The fees are very high, but
apparently the course is very well taught and is aimed at people who
intend to work in industry afterwards. It's certainly a technical
course, and UCL is a respected place.

I have a place on the above course, but have been advised to do a
research MSc instead, as this is more suitable for future research work.
I think it depends if you're going into the research side of things, or
the industry side. If you don't know, it's always possible to do a
Masters course while also finding a student placement and gaining
experience, doing certs etc.

- Katelyn