Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: When IT Manager breaks rules

From: Toby Barrick <tbarrick () cox net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 13:04:21 -0700

I have been reading this thread for a while and there seems to be a lot of solutions but no correct answers to your specific question. If your IT manager is side stepping "rules" what are they? Are they company mandated rules, Gov't regulations or what. Are the rules accepted and promoted by "the company" as LAW, or just suggestions.

If they are accepted as the law - - then bitch slap the guy and escalate as high as it takes to get his compliance. If the "rules" are just suggestions, I would recommend quitting your job since you are the security dude "in charge" and appear to have no enforcement capability. A very bad spot to be in. You will be held accountable for ALL security infractions be it by an IT manager, or Joe Blow visitor to your establishment.

Just my two cents.

Toby

Raoul Armfield wrote:
We use a solution similar to what CAM Fischer is talking about. We use Microsoft Identity Integration Service (MIIS). This reads an export from the HR database and creates accounts and places them in the appropriate OU.

Raoul