Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: A question on security postgraduate programs

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 18:19:30 +0100

Iwould like to do something technical as opposed to something
aimed at management as most of the courses seem to be.

I doubt if a second degree will get you straight into a technical role in
vulnerability research. Not that I'd want to discourage you from doing one,
but they tend to be more academic than hands-on by definition.

I would like to work in vulnerability research or pen testing
when I'm finished so I'm wondering if I'm better off
attempting to find work straight away after I finish or
getting some other qualifications first?

MSc or whatever gives you more long term options. Consider it carefully:
eventually, security will stop being flavour of the month/year/decade. A
vocational cert will give you more immediate chance of getting into the
areas that interest you. Or you could try for a job that offers you the
chance of getting sponsorship for vocational certification. More chance of
that with a postgrad cert. But a lot of it is down to sheer luck: right
place, right time.

Sorry, can't help sort out courses. When I did my degree, Babbage was on the
examining panel. ;-)

--
David Harley CISSP, Small Blue-Green World
Security Author/Editor/Consultant/Researcher