Security Basics mailing list archives

A question on security postgraduate programs

From: "some randomer" <some.randomer () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 14:16:24 +0100

Hey,
I'm not sure if this message is suitable for this list or not but here
goes anyways.

I'm a 3rd year computer science student and and I've a strong interest
in security. Primarily, vulnerability research/reverse engineering. At
the moment I'm trying to decide what to do after I finish University.I
would like to do some sort of Masters/Postgraduate study but there's
a massive amount of 'security' courses out there at the moment and its
hard to tell what is decent/respected and what is a waste of time.
Iwould like to do something technical as opposed to something aimed at
management as most of the courses seem to be.

I would like to work in vulnerability research or pen testing when I'm
finished so I'm wondering if I'm better off attempting to find work
straight away after I finish or getting some other qualifications
first? Also if someone could recommend some decent masters/postgrad
courses that would be cool. Location doesnt really bother me, I'm
currently living in europe but travelling to the US wouldnt really put
me out.

Thanks,
Sean.