Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Testing

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 13:31:56 -1000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lyndon Barry" <lyndon () d-a-p net>
To: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 10:24 PM
Subject: Firewall Testing

My company produces a home firewall that is currently being used by a client
within a large office network environment (long story).

They are currently having problems with the software due to the sheer volume
of network traffic that is occurring.
I need to replicate this environment, but I have not been able to find a
method which will guarantee the volume of traffic.  Pinging, port scanning
and other such basics simply don't provide enough.

I was hoping someone here might point me towards a site, or tool, that could
generate immense amounts of network activity so I can track down the
problem.

Any assistance you can give would be extremely appreciated

Lyndon - Bothered & Bewildered right now

I haven't used it, but you could try tcpreplay.
"tcpreplay - replays pcap files at arbitrary speeds onto the network"

http://tcpreplay.synfin.net/trac/

--Michael