Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Testing

From: MaddHatter <maddhatt+securitybasics () cat pdx edu>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 11:58:02 -0700

From: Lyndon Barry <lyndon () d-a-p net>
Subject: Firewall Testing

I was hoping someone here might point me towards a site, or tool, that could
generate immense amounts of network activity ...

They're not cheap, but they are good -- and fully capable of generating
line-speed gigabit traffic conforming to whatever rules you like. They're
fast enough to lock up any NIC/switch/router that claims to be gigabit but
is really just > 100Mb. (I won't mention any specific product names.) If
this is something you'll only need for a one-shot deal, maybe you can
borrow one from someone.  http://www.ixiacom.com/products/interfaces/

If you don't need that degree of loading and analysis, you might be able to
get away with a couple fast computers (one as a server, one as the client)
with decent Gb NICs running iperf. You can twiddle with the options to
generate sustained heavy traffic loads that will get pretty close to "as
fast as the intermediate network will allow," assuming the intermediate
network is the limiting factor.  http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf