Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Application Admins with Local Admin on Servers

From: levinson_k () securityadmin info
Date: 11 Jul 2007 18:40:07 -0000

There are pretty much just two reasons for giving anyone Windows admin accounts:

1. The person needs to be able to manage system/user accounts; or
2. General laziness and lack of time, knowledge or concern for security.

It is almost always possible to grant non-administrators sufficient permissions to the file system, registry and OS
rights (such as debug) without needing to grant full admin privileges.  It is true that it sometimes takes a little
time to figure out what rights are missing, and it's true that someone with such privileges in Windows could escalate
their privileges to admin.

I think you'll find a pretty even mix of answers.  Some environments give in and grant developers admin privileges,
while others forbid it.  Some environments give them increased privileges over development test servers or
workstations, but the sysadmins retain control over the production servers.  Some rely on IT policy and detection
rather than preventative technical controls, e.g. someone can technically make a forbidden change, but it will
hopefully be detected and reprimanded.  As with much in security, there is no one answer that is best or correct for
everyone, it depends on your individual security needs and tolerance for different kinds of risk.

I think there actually is some difference between Windows and non-Windows environments here.  With non-Windows
environments like Linux, I believe it is easier and more common to grant users non-root privileges, to grant privileges
granularly just to the necessary objects, and to require users to always use runas equivalents (su or sudo) only
sporadically.  With Windows, it is sometimes necessary to allow users to have more local privileges that affect other
local users and objects than you would normally want them to have.

kind regards,
Karl Levinson
http://securityadmin.info