Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Application Admins with Local Admin on Servers

From: "Petter Bruland" <pbruland () fcglv com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:58:58 -0700

I'd look into setting up a small scale replica using either VMWare or
VirtualServer, and that's where the developer can do his or her work.

The hard thing is to do this legally, as it can/will require quite a few
licenses if you want to do it right, not to mention hardware. With this
you can prevent any serious / easy to detect development bugs from
happening on the production server that could easily be fixed on the
"test" server.
Once the application development is complete, it can be installed on the
production server by an administrator.

But again, it all depends on the size of your server farm/network as
well as budgets.

Here we are using an external developer, who is creating custom
workflows for us. After they are tested on his external system, they
will be deployed on our VMWare sandbox server for our own testing before
we deploy it to the production server.

-Petter