Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Application Admins with Local Admin on Servers

From: "Malcolm Heath" <malcolmpdx () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:26:35 -0700

It comes down to a risk assessment, I think.  How confident are you
that the developers won't abuse the privilege, and how confident are
you that some other threat agent wouldn't be able to leverage it (say
via malware, or otherwise breaking their account) and thus get
administrative access "for free"?

Practically, there are a number of different ways to address this.  I
would prefer providing application developers a lab, either with no
network connectivity, a limited in-lab network, or (worst) a highly
firewalled situation that lets them remote into the machines they will
use for development.

With adequate firewalls, and a good IDS and extrusion monitoring on
the lab perimeter, that is a reasonably secure way to do it.

An alternate methodology would be to grant them limited admin privs on
specific machines; I'm not a windows expert, but I believe that you
can do some of this with policy configurations on Windows.  On UNIX,
you can use sudo or third party products to limit access. Both these
put the onus on the admins to manage the access correctly, and make
sure it is kept secure.

Malcolm Heath