Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Application Admins with Local Admin on Servers

From: Adam Pal <pal_adam () gmx net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 22:32:10 +0200

Hello Megan,

I can give you 2 examples about what i saw so you can eventualy get
some more ideas:
*) in a medium size company where developers are working with the
IT-Staff together (or maybe they are the same) an are on the same
location local admin privilege can be granted, eventualy also
admin-privilege to some server, but not to all. Nothing about
harrasment but just in case some developer-machine goes nuts...

If i would be part of developer-team, i would like to ensure that the
development-enviroment is completely separated from the
production-environment.
If you see any danger in affecting production-systems then DONT grant
privileges.

**) in a big project where locations are distributed all over the
world, usualy the developer needs and has full-rights on his host, but
restricted rights on the shared medium (cvs, development server, nfs,
etc) which can be more or less restrictive according to the status
(project manager, etc).

--
Best regards,
 Adam Pal