Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Mail scanner

From: Mike Alexander <mike.alexander () mail moray gov uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:58:48 -0000

I've used Clearswift Mimesweeper for SMTP (the current version has
facilities for users to release their own mail), and also the solution
provided by iCritical (Critical Software - see www.icritical.com) which is a
combination of an "appliance" (actually just some software you download and
install on a bare server - no prior OS install required) with a sort of
managed service for the updates etc.

Both have proven to be very effective.  The iCritical system also allows
users to release their blocked mail via a web page.

I've used the Barracuda device but TBH I didn't rate it that highly, though
it may well be that it has improved in the past year or so.

Regards,

Mike
Mike Alexander MBCS  Email: mike.alexander () moray gov uk
ICT Project Leader     Tel: 01343 563445   Fax: 01343 563221
The Moray Council      Web: http://www.moray.gov.uk
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours,
faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe
it to him to be worthy of such devotion."   -Anon.

********  The Moray Council: Internet E-mail Notice  ********

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments ('this e-mail')
are confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
If this e-mail has been sent to you by mistake, please notify
postmaster () moray gov uk as soon as possible; you should then
delete this e-mail from your computer.