Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Policy enforcement- Admin accounts

From: "mgk.mailing" <mgk.mailing () googlemail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:37:58 +0000

Ok well i have done some further reading, there seems to be some solid evidence backing what your all saying, the most obvious being that the password policy are computer based rather user base. I'm guessing from what i have read that although you can do what i specify below they wont actually be implemented in the real world.

Thanks for the input although a more verbose reason as to why would probably have helped. (if there is one)

mgk.

mgk.mailing wrote:
Ok I dont understand then. I have just setup a default policy of a password length of 7 as a test and applied it to the gpo on the root of the domain. Then in my test user group created a new gpo with a a different password length and as long as i block policy inheritance on the OU It does what i am talking about by allowing a stronger password policy for the OU. I can see why you wouldn't want to block policy inheritance for alot of users but for one ou of admin users i don't see the problem. this is on a w2k3 domain btw although i seem to remember doing it on 2k but could be wrong.

Cheers

mgk

Charles Hardin wrote:
The domain level policy for account security will superceed ALL ou settings.