Security Basics mailing list archives

Discussing Microsoft Forefront security attempt

From: "WALI" <hkhasgiwale () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:33:45 +0400

Hi Guys

We have long used netcache as our web cache and deployed inbuilt websense/webwasher for content filtering. Now is the time to move on for the product is old and no longer suppported. Had a look at Bluecoat but that's prohibitively priced.

I was starting to wonder, how about shifting into old Microsoft camp? They are starting to market their forefront security in a pretty big way. has anyone tried their hand on it? ISA Server 2006 promises a good proxy but I wonder if it can do content filtering. Somewhere else they have mentioned "Microsoft’s Intelligent Application Gateway (IAG) 2007 with Application Optimizers provides secure socket layer (SSL) virtual private network (VPN), a Web application firewall, and endpoint security management that enable access control, authorization, and content inspection for a wide variety of line-of-business applications." ISA Server 2006, combined with IAG 2007, serves the need for network separation and full control of inbound and outbound content and adds significant edge security functionality to address a broad range of Internet threats.

http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/edgesecurity/iag/overview.mspx

This sounds cool in words. I see a huge savings for we already hold Enterprise Agreement license from Micorosft but I was wondering, if spending time to explore these technologies, would be worth it. The current need is to have an affordable content filtering/web caching solution in place.

Any suggestions?