Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Policy enforcement- Admin accounts

From: "Jesse Eaton" <jesse.eaton () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:45:00 +0100

Many people have replied to the original post, stating to set an additional
GPO on an OU, so you can set a different password policy.

I agree, yes can go ahead and create a GPO, assign Password Policies in it,
and link it to your OU - but, the password policies will NOT take affect...

I repeat, the Password Policy portion of a GPO can only be applied at the
domain level... This could be in the 'Default Domain Policy' or in a new GPO
applied to the domain, but it only applies at the domain level.

That is why I, and several others, suggested the only viable option is to
create an additional management domain in the forest. It can be an empty
root with just your admin accounts. THEN, you can apply different password
policies to the admin users the management domain...

-Jesse