Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: terminal server security vs vpn

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:05:46 -0500

Are you using Terminal Server internally or do the users really want to
connect to their internal PCs? Does TS allow you to connect to another
server, rather than just serving up a desktop?

The best I understood your issue is that you want a secure way for your
users to connect to their internal PCs. The best I know of is a VPN
connection and then the remote desktop client. If there is a more secure
method for the same cost, I'd like to hear about it myself.

Also, changing a port doesn't provide any security. Using a high level
port might help obscure it, but that's about it. I've seen scans of
all ports as well as random ports before.