Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: terminal server security vs vpn

From: Isaac Perez <suscripcions () tsolucio com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:38:35 +0200

In two words Security in Depth.

If you don't mind about security, put your internal windows server
facing internet.
If you are worried about what can happens do it trough vpn.
You can have more layers of security, with strong authentication if you
need.
And exposing TS directly to internet can be dangerous if a exploit
appears for you version of windows. It's clear that a exploit can appear
for your firewall too, but firewall appliances are more suited for
facing internet that windows host. That maybe you can't harden as good
as needed in a bastion host if it is a production server for other
software.
You alsoo should consider making a DMZ if you can, so you can divide the
functions of the server that can be accessible from the internet.