Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: "Florian Rommel" <frommel () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:23:30 +0300

Hello to everyone. I actually think this discussion is very fruitful.
It provides a good way of proofing/unproofing the concept.

I would like to add one thing though.

Craig, your argument is that you need proof of declined hack attempts.

I would like to take the simple example of SSH. SSH bruteforcing is
still going through the roof. I have a DSL connection and when my SSH
server was on port 22 I received about 50-100 false logins per day.
Not much you say and I agree but for a home connection it is. However
I then moved ssh to port 443 (SSL) as I am not running a secure
webserver. I need the standard port access to be able to ssh from work
to home and I have had 0 bruteforce attempts per day now. Would that
not qualify as some sort of Security through obscurity?

//Flosse
http://blog.2blocksaway.com

PS: I haven't gotten a 443 attempt either though port 80 does get
"accessed" quite a lot.