Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MAC spoof concept

From: "Shreyas Zare" <shreyas () technitium com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:14:12 +0530

Hi Zillah,

You are mixing MAC spoofing and ARP poisoning I suppose. Also, what
you are trying to achieve is not clear.

If you want to impersonate PC1's identity, you can use its MAC address
such that you can access the network which PC1 is allowed to, when PC1
is offline. That is if PC1 is loged on to a particular type of network
where his MAC address is an important key then you can change your mac
address to access his network. To change MAC address you can use
Technitium MAC Address Changer.

If you want to do a Man-In-The-Middle attack, use ARP poisoning. Here
you have to continuously send an ARP packet to PC1 and PC3 which will
poison both machines ARP cache such that your MAC address will be
listed in both machines MAC table. Thus, all packets that PC1 sends to
PC3 or PC3 sends to PC1 will reach your NIC. Now you can just forward
the packets to its actual destination such that no user will notice
any difference. And using Wireshark you can capture all the traffic
for analysis. To do this there are tools available like Cain & Abel,
WinARPSpoofer etc.

Regards,