Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Changing user password policy

From: "Lars Solberg" <sunberg () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:45:28 +0200

Hi

Thanks for all the good answers!

Its not an emergency, I just wonder if there are any "good" ways of
doing this with good security. The point is that helpdesk receive a
telephone call and then the user can change their password over the
phone.
I try to find a way to do this more secure.. The users are using more
than one computer so I cant verify them by their MAC. Its the password
to log into the system so I cant send them an net send eighter. The
system have caller ID but the users are almost always calling from
other phones. An possibility could be to force a group of users to use
one specific phone.
Anyway, it seams that password hints is the best solution and we are
thinking of using that...

Thanks again!

 Lars