Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Changing user password policy

From: Cyber Legionnaire <cyber.legionnaire () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:40:43 +0300

How about this:
a client-server password generating application in which the client must
call an admin on the phone and verify himself/herself. He/she will then
be supplied with a verification code which will be entered in the client
application to generate a valid new password (else the generated
password will be rejected by the server). Once that new password is
generated and the user decides it is easy for him/her to memorize he
will submit the password over the network so that it is registered in
your NIS/Domain Server.
The client-server communication must be using a covert channel which
includes a public key handshake to establish a session key to encrypt
the transmitted password.

In terms of user-friendliness, the client must only make a phone call,
fill in the verification code and click the generate button.

Lars Solberg wrote:
Hi list!

I was wondering your toughts in changing users password in an
enterprise firm, with 10k users.
It has to be easy for the user to get a new password, but also secure!
The users also have to be verified over the phone.
Make the users go somewhere and show ID to get a new password will not
work.

Soo, what is your toughts about a good solution to this?

In front thanks
 Lars

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic
Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled
Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched
consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can
earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus