Security Basics mailing list archives

Re[2]: How to find process behing TCP connection ?

From: Roman Shirokov <insecure () yandex ru>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 01:21:57 +0400

Hi, Martynas.

Sorry, but I probably was not clear in my explanation. Problem is that
Windows 2003 server is acting as client in my case. Windows Server is
initiating session to port 139 to different workstations on the net. It
actually tries to login to many workstations on different local subnets
as user Administrator (logon is denied). I want understand which process
behind "System 4" initiates this scan to many computers with attempt to
logon as Admin user.

I can bet that there must be people who already were trying to find
process behind "System 4" and I will appreciate if somebody will share
his/her experience.

I already set up an open system and wait till it hit it's IP to
understand what will follow upon successful logon. But I expect that
there must be a way how to find under Windows what is behind connection.
So easy with lsof under Unix, looks like impossible under Windows?...

Thanks.

With best regards
Martynas

It is a little bit offtopic, but also you can try "netstat -bv", it
will give you executable behind process, like this:

 TCP    IBM-******:epmap  localhost:1040         ESTABLISHED     1580
 C:\WINDOWS\system32\imon.dll
 C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
 c:\windows\system32\rpcss.dll