Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to monitor Windows user

From: PCSC Information Services <info () pcsage biz>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 15:10:58 -0400

Francis,

Auditing would provide exactly this functionality, and you might also want to take steps to ensure that your organization's policies accurately reflect your contention that this is
an impermissible login.

While I understand that this might not be on track with your question, perhaps the most pro-active approach would be to limit the log on allowable times to those of the office hours. If you are in a government office, there are no doubt policies which can be effected in this respect, furthermore, if you (correctly) are auditing log on events, then you will be able to ascertain for certain which users are attempting to log in and at what times.

I find it reprehensible to administer in such a way as to 'prove' criminality. While it's true that ignorance of the law is no excuse, it's also not ethical to entrap either. Sound administration policy is what is needed and it sounds and would be arguable that due diligence wasn't performed by either party. This potentially would throw any attempts to litigate an incorrect (or illegal) login attempt invalid, and only damage all parties involved.

When in doubt CYA. Ensure that policy is correct, and that the administration steps taken for each machine accurately reflect the policy. Furthermore, policy is only effective insofar as the employee can be adequately informed and consent to be bound by the policy.

info