Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: router access control list

From: "Erick Jensen" <ejensen () vibrant com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:24:01 -0500

I'm not going to write out the lines here, that would be much too long, but I'll give you a start.  Teach yourself the
ACLs, it's worth it if you have to work with the routers!
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/1219ea1/scg/swacl.htm  (that link is from the 2950 guide,
but the syntax is the same in all cisco IOS)

You need to research the "extended ACL", that will give you control of the ports or services.  The standard ACL only
give you control over the destinations/sources.  I would recommend you identify the IPs of the remote access computers
and allow those IPs and ports only.  Don't just open up the ports to the world.  Yes, this will be a lengthy process,
but it is necessary.  When you finish all that, remember to back it up!  In the future you can edit it in notepad and
load the txt file on the router instead of line after line(copy+paste=win!).

Next you need to learn NAT, or more specifically PAT.
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/556/nat-cisco.shtml
That will translate your addresses to 'hide' the internal addresses.  It was designed for conservation of addresses,
not security - keep that in mind.  Use PAT, it will be much less of a head ache to troubleshoot, 1 address for the
whole network behind it, much easier.

This sounds like something you should know, if your new job depends on it.  There are so many resources out there,
wiki, cisco.com, message boards, etc.

Let us know if you have troubles, good luck!

Erick