Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Suspected nmap listing - am I under attack?

From: "Arild Jensen" <arildjensen.ml () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:20:06 -0700

Read the documentation (man page, website) of nmap, it is very
extensive and a great resource. In a nutshell, "filtered" means a SYN
packet was sent by nmap but nothing came back. "Closed" means your SYN
packet was responded with an RST packet.

You can be sure that you're not an agent of a DDoS attack by
inspecting your outgoing traffic.