Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password statistics and standards

From: "John Lightfoot" <jlightfoot () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:17:41 -0500

Dathan wrote:

I don't understand what you mean.  Rainbow tables have been generated
for 14-character NTLM passwords.  Check out the Project RainbowCrack
homepage (http://www.antsight.com/zsl/rainbowcrack/).  Are you referring
to the 8-character set available for MD5?

My understanding of how NTLM stores passwords is by storing the first 7
characters in one location and up to 7 more characters in a second.  The
reason rainbow tables can crack the fourteen digit passwords is because
they're really cracking two 7 character passwords.

Dathan wrote:

If you're referring to NTLM, over 14 characters is pointless, because
the algorithm truncates your password at 14 characters anyway.
Otherwise, I'd say you're right.  Precomputing tables for 14+ character
passwords is time- and space-prohibitive, even for today's machines.

I always use Windows passwords of length >14, and I don't think it's
pointless.  NTLM doesn't truncate your password, it just doesn't store it as
a LM hash since it won't fit into the two 7 character containers.  That's
why you get a warning that if you set your password >14 characters in length
that it won't work with older computers that rely on LM hashes, which makes
the password even more secure.

John Lightfoot