Security Basics mailing list archives

Changing the domain password policy

From: Gary Collis <onesl1fox () 27 eclipse co uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:03:40 +0100

Hi List,

I am going to enforce some domain password standards on a w2k domain. I am going to set the password policy to a more complex level then it already is.

The questions I have are;

There are a number of service and application accounts to which developers have set a number of weak passwords. So my plan is to contact the developers and request them to change passwords to these accounts, so applications and such do not break during transistion. What is the best way to do this?

In general is there anything else that anyone can recommend? What else should I consider? I am sure someone here must of done this before. What are your experiences of this?

When is the password policy enforced?

Does this affect the domain admin account?