Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password statistics and standards

From: "Robert D. Holtz - Lists" <robert.d.holtz () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:45:31 -0500

Any times for cracking passwords due to length are wildly subjective, at
best.  There are far too many variable at play to even attempt an objective
statement such as: "a six character password takes 6 days to crack where an
8 character password takes 8 days."

Usually, you're going to lock out an account after n tries so there's no
accurate way to really measure this type of thing.

Keep in mind that the longer, and more complex, that you make passwords just
increases the chance that they are written down somewhere.