Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Using Web mail (hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc) for Business mails

From: fraser <fraser () 0x10 com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:01:23 +0100

* sfmailsbm () gmail com <sfmailsbm () gmail com> wrote:

Dear List,

It is a common practice among users to user their personal email accounts like hotmail, gmail, etc to send & receive
business (and most probably confidential) information

This is particularly the case when users are out of office

These webmails are not under the company's control, and hence there is a risk of information loss. However upto now
we have not heard of any such cases

Wanted to get the opinion of the list on the security risks of the use of Webmails for business mails

Hi,

In my opinion, I think there is also an increased risk of social engineering attacks if such email addresses are
accepted as generally used. One might be suspicious of a stranger asking for certain information to be sent to a random
@hotmail.com account, but if the employees of a company are generally in the habit of usig such addresses they might be
less suspicious of sending it to a non-company domain. A minor risk perhaps, but from a social engineers point of view,
"Every little helps" ;)

-Fraser

P.s. I think i need more coffee