Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Using Web mail (hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc) for Business mails

From: "Laundrup, Jens" <Jens.Laundrup () METROKC GOV>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:58:22 -0700

There are legal and regulatory issues that you would have to watch out
for since there are strict records keeping requirements and audit
requirements that you have to meet (the fines can be very big for SEC
violations)  I would strongly recommend against it.

I would go as far as suggesting that those mail services should be
blocked to ensure that all corporate mail is restricted to the corporate
network.  Also, you must keep in mind that as the employer, you can be
held liable for people who receive "offensive" mail that others see.  In
a corporate network, you can state that all e-mail is subject to
monitoring whereas if the employees use their personal mail at work, you
have no audit trail and as such a simple claim (one persons word against
another persons word) can land you in some expensive and very hot water.

All in all; bad idea!

Jens