Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: One computer two different networks

From: nigel_barnes () hotmail com
Date: 16 Oct 2006 00:05:36 -0000

I have had to supply a solution to a problem similar to that set out here.  My preferred solution was to provide one or
two seperate PCs (old OS8.6 & OS9 Macs actually) on each floor where individuals could share the resourse.  As well as
proiding complete isolation, this solution also had the benefit of beng able to see which individuals were using the
Internet and, by placing the machines in a 'public' area on each floor, what they were using it for.  Because
idividuals were not able to hide behind their own monitors, 'casual' browsing was almost eliminated!  The very limited
use these machines received proved that very few staff actually needed Internet access from their desktop.  Howeer,
after I moved on, they got their way and everone had Internet access (via a proxy server) and very shortly afterwards
began to have PCs  that become slower and slower and riddled with spyware etc.

What, precisely, do these people need Internet access for?

If a few extra, seperate, shared machines is not acceptable, what about acessing the Internet from a terminal server?
Better still, a terminal server image running on a virtual machine that could be reloaded every day (or additionally
when a problem occured with the TS)?

But I would strongly recommend seperate machines.