Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Home PC Networking

From: "Yousef Syed" <yousef.syed () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:49:09 +0000

Hi,
Thanks for the informative responses.
I used to have a smoothwall box between my DSL router and internal
router, but the old (486/33) PC died a couple of years ago and I
haven't been able to replace it. I don't have any other small old
throwaway boxes for that spare ATM.
For part of my problem I think that would be ideal, but I didn't want
to commit to that until I'd heard any other suggestions from anyone
else. I don't recall if Smoothwall will tell me "what application has
made the call". I cannot find that information on Ethereal, either.

For some reason I've got multiple continuous calls being made from my
PC to my Router's port 49152. Whatever it is, is looping through every
port on my PC to make the calls.
I've used Sys Internal's Process Explorer, but I can't find anything
suspicious.
I've gone through the logs on my Norton Firewall, but that doesn't
tell me what is making the calls. I setup a policy within Norton to
block all calls to Port 49152 on my firewall, but that hasn't had any
effect. Ad Aware, SpyBot and Microsoft Defender aren't showing me
anything either.

Even if I get Smoothwall installed, I still want to know what is
hammering that port and why - it is killing my ping-times for Quake...
:)

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
ys

On 29/11/06, pryorda pryor <pryordasspam () gmail com> wrote:
ARe you looking to actually set up a gateway pc/server for this or would you
just like to be able to check computers individually.