Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Home PC Networking

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:03:00 -0800

 2. I'd like a list of the (incomming/out going) ports that
should be
blocked on my firewall. It is a general home PC used for browsing,
gaming, MSN etc.

Incoming: 1-65535, both TCP and UDP
Outgoing: none
            ^^^^

  Terribly old school.  Workable around 1993, when anyone with an
Internet connection could be reasonably assumed to be a qualified admin,
familiar with every executable on the box and its network behaviour.
Not true since consumers found the web.
  See Bejtlich, Richard, "Extrusion Detection", Addison-Wesley.
Filtering and monitoring the outbound traffic is a powerful way to
limit and detect issues you actually need to worry about.

David Gillett