Security Basics mailing list archives

How safe is a VPN connexion from within an internal network?

From: <PIERRE.DUFRESNE () MESS GOUV QC CA>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:47:24 -0500

Hi all!

I have been asked to install a vpn client on a workstation inside our
network that would access another network through our firewall.
Besides the technical details of allowing IPSec traffic through a NATed
device,  I was wondering how safe is this practice? Is it done often?
Once the connexion is established, can a host on the external network
access the workstation inside my network, ie initiate a connexion?
Should I rather go with a "site to site" vpn connexion?

Thanks for your time

Pierre