Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How safe is a VPN connexion from within an internal network?

From: "Quark IT - Hilton Travis" <Hilton () quarkit com au>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 04:40:53 +1000

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce () securityfocus com
On Behalf Of PIERRE.DUFRESNE () MESS GOUV QC CA
Sent: Tuesday, 21 November 2006 2:47 AM

Hi all!

I have been asked to install a vpn client on a workstation inside our
network that would access another network through our firewall.
Besides the technical details of allowing IPSec traffic through a
NATed
device,  I was wondering how safe is this practice? Is it done often?
Once the connexion is established, can a host on the external network
access the workstation inside my network, ie initiate a connexion?
Should I rather go with a "site to site" vpn connexion?

Thanks for your time

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

This sort of thing is done all the time in all sorts of networks.  Now,
if you are concerned with a remote user connecting to internal
computers, why are you not concerned if they connect to the gateway to
your network, instead of to one machine?

Remember that a VPN is a NETWORK between devices.  If you make it
between two networks, then all machines have access to all machines on
both networks, restricted by internal access security such as firewalls,
IPSEC policy, ACLs and so on.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                          Phone: +61 (0)7 3344 3889

                    Quark Group Pty. Ltd.
      T/A Quark Automation, Quark AudioVisual, Quark I