Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Verifying E-Mail Addresses

From: Andrew Wheeler <prime_dreamer () yahoo co uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:31:51 +0000

Just a thought O'Reilly have a book "Building wireless community
Networks" and in it they discuss a captive portal system.
When someone connects to the wireless system they are directed to a
Log-in page. I would think you could modify the system to show a code in
a graphic image (like you see when applying for a hotmail account) and
require them to send an email with this code to you before allowing
access to the Internet. This could be automated so you would not need to
validate each user individually.
You would need to allow them to send one email before the system blocks
them.

The system in the book is called NoCatAuth and the web address in the
book is http://nocat.net the book is dated Jan 2002 and was written by
Rob Flickenger and the ISBN is 0-596-00204-1.

Andrew
Please note that all emails sent to the prime_dreamer address will NOT
be read just deleted, Reply to the list and I will see it.