Security Basics mailing list archives

Trade off: Full disk Encryption vs. Necessity

From: shyaam () gmail com
Date: 16 Nov 2006 01:52:46 -0000

Dear All,

I am sorry if this has been discussed/described anywhere in the forums(do let me know the thread if that is the case),
but is full-disk encryption necessary.

I mean windows takes care of the OS Security, even if not, it is OS files which will come up with every single
installation CD. So it doesnt need to be encrypted. What are the things to encrypt other than the user data ? [just a
question, because everyone talks about full-disk encryption]
What is the overhead involved with full-disk encryption and if there is a full disk encryption, is it worth doing it?
Segate came up with the hardware technique of doing it ? Well if it is not breakable it is good, but what are the
chances of it being broken ?

Laptops get lost or stolen, is full-disk encryption the only solution or are there any other solutions that we are not
able to think of?

These are just few questions that came up on my mind. Once again sorry if they were addressed somewhere else or if they
sound silly.

Kind Regards,
Shyaam