Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Verifying E-Mail Addresses

From: "Jeffrey F. Bloss" <jbloss () tampabay rr com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:58:29 -0500

Will Yonker wrote:

I do recognize that somebody can enter a valid e-mail address that
does not belong to them, but we are trying to address one issue at
a time. At this point we are just trying to prevent people who
give us "dude () dude com" from getting on to our network.

I agree, you really should require a working email address that they
have access to.  I would say your best bet would be to use the same
sort of verification that most email lists use.  You could easily
automate the whole thing.  It could go something like this:

The user turns on his PC and you assign him all the right DHCP info.
He then opens his browser and is directed to your login page.
He then has to enter his email address if he needs to create an
account. Then you send him an email with the password.

<snippage>

Unless you've already granted at least some level of the access you're
trying to control, how would the potential user receive the email? :)

Wasn't this scenario basically a municipal/public access point trying
to at least in some way validate prospective users? Unless this is
implemented as a subscription service where the user can "go home and
get the password" when it's issued, it won't easily work.

You can't send it to them via the web interface or any other webmail, or
you've pretty much eviscerated the whole process. If you let them have
limited access to certain resources so they can get their
"challenge/response" email from an account outside your control you're
not only dealing with the nightmare of managing that resource, but
opening yourself up to an easy circumvention of all your hard work by
people using disposable email accounts like Pookmail, Jetable,
Spamgourmet, some "bot" machine in New Jersey, their Siberian hacker
friend's private server on a roving DynDNS enabled box that's hooked up
to some flaky cafe WiFi just for today, etc...

--
Hand crafted on 14 November, 2006 at 14:53:23 EST using
only the finest domestic and imported ASCII.

Abandon the search for truth; settle for a good fantasy.