Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VLANs confusing

From: "Shain Singh" <shain.singh () aapt com au>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:47:18 +1100

Kern wrote:

1. VLANs do not encrypt ANYTHING
2. VLANs operate on Layer 2 not 3
3. As far as I know, VLAN frames are NOT routable

Sort of. ISL and dot1q trunking protocols are used by switches to "route"
between VLANs. This is usually because VLANs *should* be setup in different
subnets.
In short, the concept of "creating switches within switches" is kind of
true.

in Cisco speak, VLANs separate "broadcast domains"

--
Shaineel Singh
MakePeace Media LTD

http://mpm.org.au/shsingh
pgp id:  0xA9D8D351
fp: 38 0D A8 C8 74 A2 33 5E CE 0E 5A FA D5 A0 04 7C

This message was written entirely with recycled electrons.