Security Basics mailing list archives

Remote Web Workplace security

From: davidj () comparto com au
Date: 3 Mar 2006 02:09:31 -0000

Hi,

Remote Desktop through VPN Vs. Remote Web Workplace connection.
This is my 1st post here, sorry if this has been discussed before.

Basically, I am 1 of 2 Sys Admins for Small Business networks. We have been rolling out SBS2003 severs for a while now.
I'm a little on the paranoid side when it comes to data & network security.

My fellow Sys Admin has been pushing the 'Remote Web Workplace' as the remote connection option to our clients. Where I
prefer the Remote Desktop through VPN whenever possible.

I understand the straight Remote Desktop has RC4 security which is rather weak. I dont believe this has been improved
when using the 'Remote Web Workplace' method? Any I wrong?

I want to make it policy that Remote Desktop connections via a VPN must always be used before the 'Remote Web
Workplace', whenever possible.
Am I being paranoid?

Thanks

Dave J

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus