Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Remote Web Workplace security

From: "ROB DIXON" <rdixon () workforcewv org>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:52:05 -0500

Thanks Paul,

I understand completely. This has been a topic of discussion with my organization.
How do we secure remote pc's that VPN to our network. Providing an up to date fully patched system with the latest
virus dats still doesnt cover the issues of a comprimised system connecting. Or, as you have stated "if someone makes
off with the credentials of the connecting party, or
if the connecting party is no longer in control of their machine".

Thanks for the explanation!!

Robert L. Dixon,  CSO
CHFI A+
State of West Virginia's
West Virginia Office of Techonology
Infrastructure Applications
Netware/GroupWise Administrator
Telephone: (304)-558-5472 ex.4225
Email:rdixon () workforcewv org
"Paul Halliday" <paul.halliday () gmail com>  >>>
My reasoning is that the semantics of the connection method are not as
important as the trust relationship between the connecting host and
the workplace. The pipe to your workplace (regardless of the method
that you use to secure it) is not the weakest link; the connecting
party is. From a due diligence perspective it only makes sense to use
a VPN to connect to your workplace. However, this does not eliminate
the more common threat, which would be a compromised host establishing
the connection.

If I rolled something like this out, my last concern would be someone
trying to attack the tunnel itself; this is why we have IDS/IPS. But
if someone makes off with the credentials of the connecting party, or
if the connecting party is no longer in control of their machine, we
have no way to detect or prevent it. Unless you can insure a trust
relationship between the VPN and all machines that will ever connect
to it, worrying about the details of the connection method are the
least of your worries.