Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Family protection - proxy?

From: "John Lightfoot" <jlightfoot () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:51:35 -0600

I've found a pretty good way that's very easy to implement, although it
doesn't proactively block access to unknown sites.

I have a Netgear WGR614 router.  The router allows you to block specific
sites, so if there are some you know about you can block those in advance.
It also has a feature to email the logs daily or when they're full.  When I
get the email, I scan the URLs and look for sites I wouldn't want my kids
visiting.  If I find any, I talk to my kids and explain why I don't think
the sites are appropriate, then add the URLs to the block list.  If they try
to browse to the site again, the router blocks the page and immediately
triggers an email to me telling me someone tried to access a blocked site,
leading to another conversation with my kids.

It's not as comprehensive as a full blown proxy server, but it was easy to
implement and required no additional hardware or software.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus