Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Protecting sensitive files on a Windows file server

From: "paul.johnson8 () gmail com" <paul.johnson8 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:50:36 +1000

Apologies if I was not clear but I was not referring to EFS but as an
exmaple encrypting the files with Office 2003 password/encryption
(using an encryption type using the CryptoAPI with a >=128bit key).

So if the user copies the file to another type of media, the Office
2003 password/encryption should still protect the information.

On 22/06/06, Gaddis, Jeremy L. <jeremy () linuxwiz net> wrote:
paul.johnson8 () gmail com wrote:
> Encrypting the files looks like the way to go, since this should
> protect the information if the employee for some reason takes the
> files out of the active directory environment (ie. copies to a usb
> drive, cdrom etc..).

Actually, that's not quite right.  The files will be encrypted on your
file server but since the employee will have a key that is able to
decrypt the files, he/she can then do whatever he wants with the file
(e.g. copy to USB drive, burn to CD, etc.).  If a user copies an
encrypted file from the encrypted folder to a non-encrypted folder, the
file will be saved unencrypted.