Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Email expiration?

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:17:07 +0300 (IDT)

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Thiago Lima @ WF wrote:
There's any way to 'auto-destroy' na email sent after N days?
I'd like to send an email to someone and after N days the
email became unreadeble. Is that possible? I thougth about a
certificate that expires. Will that work? Does something like
that exists?

With usual email this is impossible unless the recipient wants
to follow your rules: If he is going to comply with your
instructions you can simply write `do not read after yyyy-mm-dd.'
This can be automated by his mail client, a web-based email
system, or even a PDA. Unfortunately, if the recipient does not
want to comply, he can simply copy/paste your message or (if the
system does not allow this) take a screen-shot.

--
Regards,
ASK