Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: newbie: what does "sign the message digest" mean?

From: "Aaron Rohyans" <aaronr () imcu com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 20:23:22 -0600

Basically heres what happens when you send a message using Digital Signatures/Certificates:

1. I take my message and run it through a hashing algorithm (such as MD5) to form a "digest."
2. Every device that communicates using Digital Signatures/Certificates has 2 different certificates....a Public
Certificate, and a Private Certificate.  The private certificate is NEVER shared.  Once I run my message through the
hash and obtain my "digest," I append my signature to it.  My signature is a HASH of my Private Certificate.  Along
with the digest and my hashed signature, I also include my Public Certificate.  Here is an example:

SENDER:
Step 1.  Message123---->Hash---->M1ess2age3 (digest)
Step 2.  Private Certificate---->Hash---->ada23d3e (signature)
Step 3.  M1ess2age3 (digest) + ada23d3e (signature)=
M1ess2age3ada23d3e
Step 4.  M1ess2age3ada23d3e + Public Certificate---->Encrypted
Step 5.  Sent to Recipient

RECEIVER:
Step 1.  Encrypted Message is unencrypted using session key
Step 2.  Use Public Certificate from sender to verify that ada23d3e (signature) is valid.
Step 3.  Use session key to "unhash" message if source is valid.

3.  When the receiving device gets my message, it uses my Public Certificate to "unhash" my signature and verify that
the message is truly from me.  Once the message source is verified, the receiving device can then begin decoding the
rest of the message.

Does that help?
Aaron