Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wake-On-LAN security

From: Mike Fetherston <mike_sha () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:07:45 -0400

Hi Hylton and Chris,

WOL works by sending a specially crafted packet to the NIC's MAC address.
See this Wikipedia article for more information on how this works:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

I've only seen WOL dis/enabled through the system BIOS.  If it's a PCI card
there is, more often than not, a cable that connects the PCI NIC to the
motherboard.  This is how the NIC can turn the PC on when WOL is enabled.
If you don't see it in your BIOS then your system may not support WOL, or
you may need a BIOS upgrade to see the option become available.

Since this operates on Layer 2, it can be filtered by placing a Layer 3
device in front of the PC.

Mike Fetherston