Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wake-On-LAN security

From: "Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)" <hylton () conacher co za>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:59:27 +0200

Chris Largret wrote:
On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 11:59 +0200, Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:

What command or procedure could be used by a hacker coming through my ADSL connection into the switch to wake up machines plugged into the switch that have Wake-On-LAN nics?

How could I prevent the machines from waking up, besides turning off the switch or unplugging the network cable?

I'm not familiar with the process of remotely turning on computers over
the LAN (never had the need to), but I have had the ability to
enable/disable it in most of my system BIOSs. That would be the first
place to check.
Thanks Chris, I'll have a look in the BIOS. The NIC is however a PCI unit by Genius (model GF100YXR4). When I hardware installed the card I cannot remember seeing any switches or toggles.

If I don't come right on finding a solution in the BIOS, I rever to the list as the OS is SuSE 9.2 on which I am an almost total newbie to the command line.

Tnx
Hylton
P.S: I am subscribed to the security basics list so no need to Cc me.