Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sniffer - How's the best way to deploy ?

From: Lukasz Szmit <lukasz.szmit () ucd ie>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:53:20 +0100

Hi Marcio,

 Our first step is to isolate the PLC possible issue, so we will deploy a sniffer on the Switch 2955 that this PLC
network is connected to. To do that were going to put a desktop with Ethereal installed on one of empty port on this
switch and mirror the PLC switch port to the desktop switch port.

 My doubt is: How
s the best way to do it ?

 -  I think this desktop must have two NIC, one with no ip configuration and other with ip configuration and also
connected to another port that we can collect the data

You would need only one NIC, put into promiscious mode and listening for
traffic on a spanned (monitor session) port. This way you should capture
all data flowing between both endpoints.

-  Whats the best sniffer to harvest this kind of data? Ethereal?

If you're on Unix/Linux tcpdump or ethereal are the best choice, under
Windows you probably won't find anything better than ethereal.

-  Hows the best way to log this data? Is there any software for Windows to do it?

Well, with ethereal you can save the capture in libpcap format and than
analyze it whenever it suits you - both with tcpdump and ethereal.

regards,
--
Lukasz Szmit
University College Dublin