Security Basics mailing list archives

RE Sniffer - How's the best way to deploy ?

From: Francois Labreque <flabreq () ca ibm com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:57:26 -0400

marcioacosta () gmail com a écrit sur 2006-07-10 22:39:23 :

Please someone could tell me the best practice to deploy a sniffer
on the network?

Here is my scenario:

  I have PLC network that read some data from the assemble line and
send to server which is located out of the site. Two or three time a
week we ?lost? your Ethernet connection, this is what the floor
people said, the true is for some reason the data is not processed
correctly and the assemble line stop for a while (3 min max).

 There are some technical root cause for that :

1- PLC is not working properly (not read or send data out)

2- Problem on LAN network

3- Problem on the WAN network, ?cause there is MPLS could to reach the
server

4- Problem on the server (busy)

 Our first step is to isolate the PLC possible issue, so we will
deploy a sniffer on the Switch 2955 that this PLC network is
connected to. To do that we?re going to put a desktop with Ethereal
installed on one of empty port on this switch and mirror the PLC
switch port to the desktop switch port.

 My doubt is: How?s the best way to do it ?

 -  I think this desktop must have two NIC, one with no ip
configuration and other with ip configuration and also connected to
another port that we can collect the data

Yes.  On a 2950 series of switches, the port that is monitoring can not
receive "regular" packets at the same time, so you won't be able to
remotely monitor that PC unless it has two nics, and you talk to it via
the oter one.

-  What?s the best sniffer to harvest this kind of data? Ethereal?

Ethereal is more than enough to capture traffic, however, if there are
cabling issues, specialized software or tools might be required.

-  How?s the best way to log this data? Is there any software for
Windows to do it?

Ethereal is available for Windows.