Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: Re: University Degree or CISSP

From: shelmire () securityfocus com, at () securityfocus com, psc () securityfocus com, dot () securityfocus com, edu () securityfocus com
Date: 25 Jan 2006 17:16:17 -0000

Experience and what you know are the most important qualifications. A degree helps, but if you know not, it is useless.
In undergrad it's hard to find classes where you will learn much, but it does provide a basis.

before I had my bachelors I did a lot of boring grunt work(net technician, COBOL programming, et cetera). After I had
most of my bachelors finished I was able to land some pretty cool jobs working for people working on cool projects.
After I finished my bachelors I was able to work on cool projects. After I finish my masters I hope to lead even cooler
projects. It's not necessary it just speeds things up.

If you are finding yourself in a position where you seem to not be able to get into the positions you want or like,
then a degree may be the key.

CISSP is a line item on a resume, an education is a foundation.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus