Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: University Degree or CISSP

From: Aman Raheja <araheja () techquotes com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:42:12 -0600

I won't really be speaking for the HR departments but if you ask them, there is enough research done in those segments to conclude why having a formal study experience is important. Recall going through the exams pressure, learning to accept high/low grades and fighting back - just to name a few experiences. Many companies even require a certain GPA to qualify to apply for jobs - and people seem to think there is no reason? They are in denial, and of course won't accept that either !

I agree that experience is most important but other than a very few exceptions, the top-notch executives in all companies have degrees, not to mention, most of the times from premier universities. When people quote Bill Gates dropped off - mind you - he had the caliber that he was in Harvard Univ for two years before he quit !

As per CISSP, it is a great way of certifying that the past experience or 3/4 years has given you knowledge. Since the CISSP criteria for the exam only requires experience in 1 or more domains, by certification a person could very well expand their scope in job market, may be increment salary (dependent on the company) or just be able to prove that their knowledge is not limited to what they have been doing. Again comparison among the cert and degree is not even worth the comparison, both have their own importance, depending on individual goals and the companies you work (or want to work) for.

Aman

Kain, Becki (B.) wrote:

The thing that I find frustrating, and I have a 4 year degree from
University of Michigan, in Economics, is that companies, like the one
I'm posting from, make it a requirement that you have a degree, but not
what the degree is in.  Seems that a person with 4 years of practical
computer work should be seen as just as (or more, IMHO), useful that a
person with a 4 year degree, but no practical skills.  But then again,
I'll never understand HR departments.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

--

Aman Raheja
Security+, Linux+ Certified.